powered by podcast garden
Chocolate Applesauce Cake is a favorite recipe from my childhood. Mum would have a piece with a cup of coffee in the afternoon and if we were home, we got a treat, too. You can leave the cocoa out if you want plain applesauce cake. I remember Mum sometimes sprinkling a bit of sugar on the top before baking.
If you’d like to make this into a round cake you can use two 8″ rounds. The cakes will be thin. They’re beautiful served with powdered sugar. I don’t put the layers together. If you decide you want to you could use a nice thick jam between the layers.
Chocolate Applesauce Cake
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups applesauce
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups chocolate chips 1 cup mixed in, one cup on top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the wet ingredients together.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and then add in one cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour into a sprayed 9″ x 13″ baking pan. Top with the other cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350° for 34 to 40 minutes.