Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms
Have you ever grilled stuffed mushrooms? I used to always put them in the oven but since buying a grill that has a thermometer – in the grill they go. They get the little bit of smokey flavor from meat juices dripping on the heat, giving them a little extra oomph in flavor.
While I do love mushrooms, this recipe uses button mushrooms because of their sturdy, empty caps, and I don’t think they have a lot of flavor. For this recipe, most of the flavor is in the stuffing so don’t hold back. Adjust the ingredients to suit your tastes. I use Italian bread crumbs and add a little more Italian seasoning. It still wasn’t quite enough so I added a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce to the cream cheese mix. Love it!
Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms has become a staple in our weekend cooking out entertainment in the warmer months. When the grill has been put away for the winter I put them in the oven and they’re almost as good!
Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms - On The Fire
- 1 pound button mushrooms White or Cremini work well
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs I use Italian for more flavor
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese Preferably fresh but shaker is good too
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese Set aside to top mushrooms
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon parsley fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Preheat the grill (or oven) to 400°.
- Spread a thin layer of olive oil on a cookie sheet. You'll use the sheet even on the grill.
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel.
- Remove mushroom stems. Chop the stems into 1/4" or smaller pieces.
- Melt the butter in a fry pan over medium heat. Cook the stems until most of the moisture has evaporated, six or seven minutes.
- Add the minced garlic to the mushrooms stems and cook for two or three minutes. As soon as you smell the wonderful aroma of garlic, it's done.
- Add the bread crumbs and toast for three or four minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool 15 or 20 minutes, cool enough that the cream cheese won't melt.
- Add the Parmesan, cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, parsley and thyme. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the mushroom caps with the mixture. Top with the Mozzarella cheese.
- Grill with the cover down for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool 8-10 minutes before serving.