Lemon Marinated Feta Cheese
Kristin brings a wonderful marinated sheep and goat milk cheese to me when she comes to visit. I stretch it out as long as possible by eating only one one-inch cube at a time. I use every drop of the olive oil, usually on Crostini, to get every last bit of goodness. This lemon marinated Feta cheese isn’t the same but it’s just as good in its own way.
Preheat the oven to 400°. You’re going to bake the lemon slices until they begin to caramelize. It’s worth this extra step.
Lemon Marinated Feta Cheese - On The Fire
- 1 lemon Sliced 1/4" thick, seeded
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chilis dried
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch black pepper
- 8 ounces Feta cheese cut into 1" squares
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Coat lemon slices in the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake 10-12 minutes, until the pulp begins to caramelize and the peel browns.
- Cut the Feta into one-inch squares.
- Combine the lemon slices, lemon juice, chilies, bay leaf and black pepper into a pint wide mouth canning jar or other glass container with a lid. Cover with the remaining olive oil. Marinate at least 12 hours. I like two or three days. Watch the cheese carefully for signs of mold. Stores in the fridge for up to five days.