Mac n Cheddar Cheese
Baked Mac n Cheddar Cheese is a favorite for lots of us. I never tire of it. This is nothing like the bright orange powdered cheese mac that comes in a box. I used Clothbound Chedder from Grace Hill Farm in Cummington, MA. I found the cheese at Boston Public Market on a weekend trip with Taylor to visit Kristin. You should use your favorite cheddar. Or, use Gouda. If a cheese melts well and you like it, use it. You could add a little Mozzarella to make it stringy. I wouldn’t use all Mozzarella but maybe 25% of the total cheese would be great.
Changing it Up
If you want to change up your mac and cheese you can add two teaspoons of dry mustard, or a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. I like to saute mushrooms and onions and add them to the cheese sauce. Remember those “helper” boxed meals you add a pound of ground burger to? You can fry your burger and add it to mac and cheese. Or, how about some slightly steamed broccoli? Variety is good!
Mac n Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 roll Ritz or Saltine crackers crumbled
- 3 tablespoons butter room temp
- Preheat the oven to 350° Cook the macaroni in two quarts of boiling water until two minutes before al dente. Drain well. Make the roux. Melt three tablespoons of butter. Add three tablespoons of flour to the butter and stir until it becomes crumbly. Cook over low heat for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Don't let the roux brown. You can turn the heat off if necessary. The heat in the pan will be enough to finish. This removes the bland flour flavor from the roux.
- Turn the heat to medium and stir in the milk. Continue stirring briskly until the roux dissolves and the mixture becomes thick, about five minutes to be sure it's done thickening.
- Add the pepper and cheese and stir until its melted and mixed well. Mix the cheese sauce and macaroni. Coat an 8 x 8 baking pan with non-stick spray. Pour the mac 'n cheese into the pan.
- Crush the sleeve of crackers and mix it with the room temperature butter. Spread the mixture over the top of mac 'n cheese. Bake until the crust is browned, 30 to 45 minutes.