Panko Parmesan Crusted Asparagus
It isn’t asparagus season here yet, the garden is still covered in snow. I’m grateful that it’s in season somewhere, and I’m overlooking the distance it’s traveling to get to my table. Panko Parmesan Crusted Asparagus is easy to make but more time consuming than other ways I prepare asparagus.
Note the temperature – not the usual 350°. Set the oven to 450°. The Panko crumbs and Parmesan cheese will meld together and get crusty in the high heat. You should be able to pick up individual spears with your fingers and eat them like French fries.
Panko crumbs add crunch but don’t contribute any flavor to the recipe. If you find this mix a little bland you could add a pinch of onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning or even chili powder. You can taste the mix before you coat the asparagus spears.
Panko & Parmesan Crusted Asparagus - On The Fire
- 1 pound asparagus Snap off the woody part of the stem.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- Cooking spray
- Heat the oven to 450°. Cover the bottom of a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil to make clean up easier. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Mix mayo, scallions, chili sauce and olive oil together in a large shallow bowl. A serving bowl works well.
- Place the asparagus in a shallow bowl and coat it completely with the mayo mixture.
- Mix the Panko, Parmesan cheese and sesame seeds in another large shallow bowl.
- One at a time, roll the mayo coated asparagus spears in the Panko crumbs. Place the coated spears on the cookie sheet with a small space between each spear. Spray well with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Time will depend on the size of the spears. They are done when the spears are soft but still a little crunchy. You'll be able to pick them up and eat them with your fingers like a French fry.