Rosemary Mustard Crusted Ham
We love ham. Smoked, baked, glazed, scored, boiled dinner – we love ham. Rosemary Mustard Crusted ham is a new favorite recipe. I didn’t come up with this on my own. I mixed three ideas from recipes I found online all together and did a lot of adjusting to get it just right. A spicy stone ground mustard works well for us because we like the flavor and texture. You should use any prepared mustard you like. It’s low carb so it suits Keto, South Beach, Atkins and other low-carb dishes. This year we’re skipping the sweet, sugary, syrupy glaze that we love so much for this coating. It works well on spiral, picnic and canned ham.
Fresh rosemary is usually available in the produce section of grocery stores. You should be able to find cut rosemary stems in packages and possibly live plants. I buy new plants each spring because they don’t over winter well here, and because I can’t seem to manage to keep one alive from fall until spring. It’s one of the few plants I can’t grow in the house (lavender is another).
Rosemary: Fresh vs Dried
The recipe for Rosemary Mustard Crusted ham won’t taste the same if you use dried rosemary but if that’s all you have, by all means use it. Use one tablespoon of dried rosemary in this recipe instead of three tablespoons fresh.
To chop pecans and other nuts easily, place them between two sheets of waxed paper to break them down quickly, and then do the fine chopping with a serrated knife. For this recipe, as long as you don’t grind the pecans into a flour in a food processor you can’t chop them too fine.
Ham, scalloped potatoes, roasted carrots, green bean casserole, bread or rolls, Salted Caramel Apple Pie for dessert… We enjoy large holiday meals and the traditions involved.
Need a recipe for mayonnaise? It’s easy to make!
Rosemary Mustard Crusted Ham - Low Carb
- 1 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary finely chopped, or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon powdered garlic or 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pecans finely chopped
- Mix all ingredients together and slather on the ham. Bake according to the instructions on your ham so that you know you've cooked it properly for the kind of ham you've chosen. Remove the cover and bake for 10 minutes to crisp the crust before removing from the oven.