Salmon Cakes Recipe
My Salmon Cakes recipe makes a salmon cake that’s excellent as a main dish or an appetizer. I’m quite happy to have a salmon cake and a salad for lunch or supper. You may use your fresh-caught, a filet, or two cans of salmon. Cans are quick and simple and since they don’t require refrigeration you can take them camping.
I like to use a red, orange or yellow Bell pepper to add a little color to the salmon cake but a green works just as well. Fresh squeezed lemon has the best flavor but if you have a bottle of lemon juice in the fridge, common for canning this time of year, go ahead and use that. Two tablespoons of juice is equal to one lemon.
Serve with dill or tartar sauce.
Salmon Cakes Recipe - Use Fresh or Canned Salmon
- 1 pound salmon meat Canned or Fresh, cooked, flaked
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons green onion or scallions, mild white onion
- 2 tablespoons bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Using your hands, mix together the flaked salmon, eggs, green onion, Bell pepper, Panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and lemon juice.
- Form eight cakes by hand, no more than 1/2" thick.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a heavy duty fry pan. When the oil bubbles for a few bread crumbs, place the salmon cakes in the pan. Keep 1/4" of space between cakes so that they don't cook together. Fry until the bottom is crispy and golden brown and then flip over and repeat on the other side.
- Serve with tartar sauce.