This is a great chowder to fill you up, warm you up, and keep you going during these cold winter months.
Roasted Poblano Chicken Chowder
Roasted Poblano peppers add a little heat and a lot of flavor to chicken chowder. Poblanos, chicken, potatoes, corn and beans make this a hearty chowder. This is great for a cold day spent ice fishing, skiing or snowmobiling.
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 2 to 4 Poblano Peppers Choose size and amount depending on how much heat you like
- 4 cups potatoes bite sized pieces
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 8 slices bacon topping
- 2 cups chicken shredded
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 large red Bell pepper Orange or yellow works too; you’re after color
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 15 oz can corn or 2 cups frozen
- 2 limes 1 quartered, one halved. You’ll use the juice from the halved lemon.
- Queso Fresco topping
- cilantro topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the Poblanos. You can do this under the broiler or if you have propane or natural gas, over the flame. Roast until half or three-quarters of the skin is black. Move the roasted peppers to a container and cover. They will continue to cook briefly.
- Cook the bite-sized potatoes in the chicken stock until fork tender. Drain but KEEP THE STOCK. Don’t drain it down the sink like I once did.
- Cook the bacon until crispy. Set aside to cool and then chop the bacon. Keep the bacon fat.
- Cook the chicken. You can roast or pan fry.
- In the bacon pan, saute the onion, pepper and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Add the flour to the bacon fat, onion, pepper and garlic and stir to make a paste. Adjust the flour as necessary.
- Mix in the chicken stock and stir until the flour mixture has dissolved.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, Poblanos, chicken, potatoes, corn and beans. Stir well. Does it need salt and pepper? Probably at least pepper. If the chicken stock was salty, probably no salt needed.
- Add 3/4 cup cheddar, the cream and the sour cream and stir.
- Add the juice of 1 lime. This little bit of juice makes a big difference in flavor!
- Top each bowl with a little Queso Fresco, bacon crumbles, cilantro and a lime wedge.