I love fritters. Love them, especially while they’re still warm. I like the sweetness of the apples combined with the savory breakfast sausage. Sausage & Apple Fritters are a nice side for breakfast or lunch, or alone as breakfast on the go. I’ve grabbed a fitter on the way out many times.
You can substitute pears for the apples. Add dried cranberries or blueberries, or use raisins. As usual, you can change this up to suit your favorite tastes.
Sausage & Apple Fritters
- 8 oz breakfast sausage loose
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup apples chopped, 1/4" pieces
- Heat 3" of vegetable oil in a heavy duty pan or fryer to 350°.
- Peel and chop the apples.
- Cook the sausage. Drain well. Pat excess grease off with a paper towel. Cool completely.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together.
- Melt the butter. Don't over heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, add milk, vanilla and butter.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just mixed. Be sure to not over mix.
- Fold in the apples and sausage.
- Drop by big tablespoons into hot oil. Keep them apart so they don't cook together. Fry for five to six minutes, turning once.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel. You can roll the fritters in sugar, cinnamon sugar, sprinkle with powdered sugar, or leave them plain.